Friday, January 15, 2010

A Slice Of Quiet

The house was quiet this morning.

This is notable because it almost never happens. We ALWAYS have something going, be it the television, radio, or clamoring children. With 5 children someone is ALWAYS clamoring for something. But Abigail didn't have school this morning and for the entire past week the children have had very late nights getting to bed. So we informed the children last night that nobody was allowed to get out of bed before mommy was out of bed.

The twins woke around 6:00 AM for their first feeding and I put them back to bed straight away. I read for about 30 minutes and then went back to bed myself. The phone rang approximately 30 minutes later and than again 30 minutes after that. I knew getting to have a lazy morning in bed was going to be out of the question so I got my book and came out into the living room to read before the munchkins got up. I had about 15 minutes of complete silence. I didn't turn on the television to watch something off the DVR. I didn't turn on any online radio stations. It was quiet. I enjoyed it. It was nice. I need to do it again sometime.

Do you ever turn off your noise? Do you ever have time to be with yourself and just think - think about good things, holy things, godly things? I rarely do this. I can't remember the last time I did this. Even if I sneak into my bedroom to have some quiet time, you have the filtered noise of the house coming through the cracks. So in my thoughts during and about my quiet time, it occurs to me that there is no way for me to commune with or hear God if I never have quiet time to try and listen for him. It is no wonder God had to command us to be still.

Psalm 49:10 Be still, and know that I am God:

Do you find time every day to be still in silence? Do you find time once a week? Once a month? Let me know if you have a quiet time where you sit and reflect on God and His goodness.

3 comments:

  1. Not much silence here wither between the kids and the dogs :) Sometimes I think I should get up earlier. But it seems whenever they hear people up....they get up. Hard to be quiet in a small place!

    The best is when you do get everyone into something to sneak away, then you hear as loud as can be spoken "MOM TOLD US TO BE QUIET SHHH"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now is pretty silent... would be nice at certain points in the day too. LOL Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the kids go to bed is when I have my moment of silent. lol Also during the day when the kids are at school and Carter is napping. There is no noise and that is when I read my Bible and pray. My quite time alone:) It's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete