Friday, October 30, 2009

Learning To Be Abased - A Day In The Life


Phillippians 4:11-12 (emphasis mine)
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have LEARNED, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound; every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

Yesterday was a lesson in learning to be abased. I think it is interesting that the Lord specifies to us that we have to LEARN to be content both in being abased and when we abound. So, obviously I'm still in need of some educating based on yesterday's happenings.

Lydia needed to get to the doctor yesterday. We have one vehicle and Daniel had our double stroller in the van which he had at work. Our phone was not operable so I had no phone, no ride, and no stroller, and no internet to get in touch with anybody to try and find a ride. I couldn't get in the touch with the doctor in order to set up an appointment but, as pink eye has been going around the church and I highly suspected Lydia had fallen victim, I needed to get her in to the doctor. Deep Sigh. So Daniel calls and sets up and appointment for Lydia and I had to bundle up the twins in the wagon. Its not so bad. Its really hard to get up the stairs and heavier to pull than pushing the stroller but at least I have the wagon. I don't know how I would walk around town with both babies without the wagon.

So we walk to Lydia's doctor appointment. Now, honestly, most days its okay. If I were CHOOSING to walk to the appointment it would be no big deal. But not having a choice, I don't know. For some reason that makes it worse. So here were are out in the damp weather with the babies, Lydia with pink eye and, wonders never cease, an ear infection. (I've never had a child with an ear infection before and didn't even know she HAD an ear infection.) And Elijah, God bless his heart, thinking this is the greatest adventure EVER. While I'm still sick and tired. Nobody had eaten because I had to run out of the house so quickly to make it to her appointment on time.

We then walk from the doctor's office to the pharmacy only to find out it will be a minimum of an hour and a half before the prescriptions will be ready. No thank you. I'll send hubby back later. So we walk on home. We were gone for three hours. And its okay. Really. It SHOULD be okay. So why was it so hard?

Dear Lord, please give me the grace to be content on those days where all I want to do is have a pity party for myself. Help me to realize that things could be worse and be thankful that the weather wasn't too cold to walk, it wasn't raining, and we all had the health to walk there and back. Help me to be thankful that while we don't have 2 vehicles, we do have one which allows Daniel to get back and forth to work every day. Help me to be thankful that he has a job so that the van isn't available to me during the day. Thank you for giving me a doctor that I love whose office is so close to the house that walking is an option. Thank you for the pharmacy for the same reasons. Dear Lord, your provision is more than I deserve. Thank you, that in 7 years of having children, we just encountered our first case of an ear infection and pink eye.

Dear Lord - Thank you.
(Picture was taken by me with my Dad within a mile of their home.)

No comments:

Post a Comment